We had our second admitted student day last week at Knox college. Beautiful campus – small to the eyes of this Big Ten girl, but full of trees, green areas, and old, history-infused buildings. Stand out moments:
- We toured campus and saw the spot where one of the famous Lincoln-Douglas debates took place, as well as a chair that Lincoln (and more recently Obama) sat in – available for prospective students to sit in as well. Very cool piece of history in that.
- The library at Knox is my personal idea of heaven. Large comfortable furniture, wooden paneling and built in bookcases and glass fronted cabinets. Enough modern conveniences to be useful. And a special collection of rare books including Carl Sandburg, Ernest Hemingway and F.Scott Fitzgerald. I want to know if they need a professor of entrepreneurism.
- The students are quirky. In a good way, but clearly, marching to the beat of your own drum is not only accepted but encouraged here. Clothing styles from early American hippie to modern punk, buttoned-up preppie to relaxed casual – we saw it all, and not in clumps but rather mix and matched.
We were impressed with much of what we heard and saw. So, we were down to decision time. Drake or Knox? Really….no bad choice here. We felt comfortable with the quality of education and life at either school.
- While there seems to be somewhat less of a focus on internships at Knox than at Drake, there is a very high focus on interaction between Professors and students.
- Drake is larger, Knox is closer.
- Drake is blue, Knox is purple.
Final choice – Knox. Why? Just felt right.
Good as any other reason when weighing two equal options.